Schedule subject to change as we add more events and volunteer opportunities! Please call ahead to register for events.
Join our monthly e-mail list and get your updates automatically.
Upcoming Event Calendar
May 18 – 20 – Field Educator and Leader Training (WildLeaders)
June 1 – 3 – WildPlaces Visioning Retreat
June 18-22 – Immersed in the Wild: Dolores Huerta Foundation-Youth from Kern County
July 7 – Rio Limpio – On the Upper Tule, 9 am – 12 pm
July 17-23 – Immersed in the Wild: Burton Pathways Charter High School- Porterville
July 30 – Aug 4 – Immersed in the Wild: Porterville College M.E.Ch.A Club
September 15 – The Great Sierra River Cleanup, 9 am – 12 pm
October 20 – WildPlaces Party/Fundraiser
- WildPlaces’ 10-Year Anniversary Fundraiser It’s Our Ten Year Anniversary this Year! Celebrate with us on 10/22/2011 at the WildPlaces’ 10-Year Anniversary Fundraiser! River Ridge Ranch will host our event (www.river-ridge.net). Tickets are $20 and free for all youth. There will be great food, art, a silent auction, updates and presentations, Giant Sequoia Sponsorships, and great tunes by The Stepsons! Call 559.539.5263 ...
- Immersed in the Wild – MHS/GHHS On July 13 – 17, 2011 WildPlaces took 10 students from Monache High School and Granite Hills High School from Porterville to the Golden Trout Wilderness to conduct campsite inventories and solitude monitoring as part of the National Forest Foundation’s Wilderness Stewardship Challenge. The students completed inventories of campsites in the wilderness, because there are ...
- Rio Limpio – July 23 Río Limpio: Tule River Outreach and Cleanups provide a unified effort to keep the Tule River beautiful, clean, safe and open for all to enjoy. Volunteers clear garbage and remove graffiti from the river while reaching out to river users to teach the importance of good stewardship practices. On July 23 the cleanup will begin ...
- Immersed in the Wild – Walt Whitman High School On Jun 16 – 19 WildPlaces will take Walt Whitman High School students from Los Angeles on a four day backpacking trip through Sequoia National Forest, Golden Trout Wilderness. This WildPlaces excursion will focus on the Wilderness Challenge from the National Forest Foundation. Students will be taught to conduct campsite surveys of the wilderness.
- July 23rd Clean up, Education and Outreach – Rio Limpio We will be hosting a River Clean Up on Saturday July 23 on the Middle Fork of the Tule. The Clean up will begin at 9am to noon, followed by a BBQ and fun activities. We will meet at the Springville Park, and carpool up the canyon from there. The BBQ will be at the ...
- Announcing the Sierra Nevada Alliance Board Meeting in Springville Ca “Two Sierra Nevada environmental organizations come to Springville, bringing business, ecology and good will” Two Sierra Nevada conservation organizations will be in Springville, CA (Tulare County) in the southern Sierra Nevada from March 5th until March 6th, 2011. Each organization will have their respective Board of Director meetings on 3/5 and then ...
- Snowshoeing with Burton Pathways Snowshoeing with Burton Pathways When: February 12, 2011 Where: Sequoia National Monument WildPlaces took 10 Burton Pathways students from Porterville into the Sequoias for a snowshoeing trip. Most of the students had never been to the snow, let alone snowshoeing. We had a great time snowshoeing, sledding, and learning about the ecology of the ...
- WildPlaces 2010 Volunteer Celebration and Open House WildPlaces 2010 Volunteer Celebration and Open House Saturday, December 11 · 12:00pm – 5:00pm Springville, CA 37608 Rio Vista Dr. This is a youth friendly event to appreciate our volunteers and supporters. Bring your own plate, utensils, and cup, warm clothing, and blanket. We will provide food and drinks. Keynote Speaker is USFS Forest Supervisor Tina Terrell. There will be a Guest ...
- Mini Grant Program Tulare county youth in Porterville and Strathmore areas are invited to apply for our mini grant program. Youth in the program may apply for one of four “mini-grants” of up to $250 each, to fund youth-driven service projects in their home communities. Projects with environmental themes would be given preference, but projects addressing critical social or ...
- Immersed in the Wild/Blister Rust Survey Golden Trout Wilderness Trip 8/1-6/2010 What an amazing trip we had from 8/1-6/10! The Golden Trout Wilderness at Maggie Lakes is a most amazing feature in our southern Sierra. We are so proud to be an advocate for its protection, education and outreach. The IW/WildPlaces’ youth participates and adult educators were amazing. We covered 25 plots wherein we recorded data reflecting White ...
- Biological Indicator Identification Service Learning – May 2010 May 8 – Biological Indicator Identification Service Learning with Strathmore High School.
- Río Limpio Cleanup Event – Middle Fork Tule River September 2010 September 25 – Middle Fork Tule River on September 25 from 8.30 a.m. until 2 p.m. (Also National Public Lands Day and MyForest Summit.)
- Immersed in the Wild August 18, 2010 August 18 – 21 Dolores Huerta Foundation, Youth Programs at Quaking Aspen Meadow
- Immersed in the Wild August 13, 2010 August 13 – 16 Mongolian Youth Camp in Quaking Aspen Meadow
- Immersed in the Wild August 1, 2010 WildPlaces is continuing the completion of the USFS White Pine Survey for Immersed in the Wild in Golden Trout Wilderness on August 1 – 6.
- The Clean Water Challenge – July 2010 July 10 – Enter your youth group in the Clean Water Challenge and make the world a better place!
- Río Limpio Cleanup Event – Middle Fork Tule River July 2010 July 10 – Middle Fork Tule River from 8.30 a.m. until 2.00 p.m. This is the Clean Water Challenge component of Río Límpío. Faith-based organizations are invited to attend a river clean-up challenge while raising money to be donated to a clean water organization in Haiti.
- Immersed in the Wild – July 2010 July 9 – 14 Immersed in the Wild first Mule Pack Trip with local Monache High School in Golden Trout Wilderness to work on USFS White Pine Survey
- Immersed in the Wild – June 2010 June 17-20: Walt Whitman High School students went on a backpacking trip to Freeman Grove. The students learned how to backpack, navigate in the wilderness, cook and use back-packing equipment. WildPlaces educators led a discussion about wilderness ethics, cultural awareness, storytelling and ecology. WildPlaces taught the students that they are stakeholders and reporters, ...
- Río Limpio Cleanup Event – Kern River June 2010 June 12 – Upper Kern River
- Río Limpio Cleanup Event – Middle Fork Tule River June 2010 June 5 – Río Limpio Cleanup Event – THANK YOU WILDPLACES AND MOTIVATED COMMUNITY MEMBERS!!! Over the past 5 years since the Río Limpio program was founded by WildPlaces Director, Mehmet McMillan and volunteer Chico Garza, less and less trash has been picked-up each year. We only collected twelve half-full bags of trash on the June ...
- Jamba Juice and WildPlaces Fundraiser for Río Limpio May 2010 May 21-23 WildPlaces/Jamba Juice Fundraiser – mention WildPlaces when you buy a smoothie at Jamba Juice and 20 percent of the profits goes to WildPlaces. Location: 397 West Henderson Avenue Porterville, CA 93257.
- Monache Final Presentation – May 2010 May 20 – MTA students reveal their final presentation for their WildPlaces’ media project.
- Springville Nursery Day – May 2010 May 19 – Springville Nursery Day with La Sierra High School, and Springville Schoool’s Green Club.
- WildPlaces Booth at Health and Safety Fair – Porterville May 2010 May 17 – WildPlaces booth at Health and Safety Fair – Porterville, 1 pm – 5 pm.
- Trail of 100 Giants / Monache High School Hike – May 2010 May 17 – Monache High School’s Media and Technology Academy (MTA) students go on guided hike through Trail of 100 Giants.
- Camp Nelson Meadow Cleanup – May 2010 May 15 – Camp Nelson Meadow Cleanup at 8:30 am.
- WildPlaces Hike at Wishon Creek – May 2010 May 15 – WildPlaces Hike at Wishon Creek. Call Mehmet to RSVP (760)447-1702.
- Sponsor-a-Giant Sequoia Seedling for Mother’s Day! The perfect gift for Mother’s Day is the gift that will last…the Giant Sequoia. The Giant Sequoia is a monument to mother nature’s beautiful grandeur. WildPlaces’ Sponsor-A-Giant Sequoia Program allows you to sponsor a Giant Sequoia in the name of the greatest mom in the world….yours!
- Springville School’s Green Club Meets – May 2010 May 5 – Springville School’s Green Club met at 1pm in Mr. Gerritsma’s Room.
- River Ridge Ranch Wildlife Corridor – April 2010 On April 24 WildPlaces, along with youth board members Gabriel Alcantar, and Stephanie Ruiz, removed the bottom barbed wire from River Ridge Ranch’s wildlife corridor.
- Goldman Environmental Prize 2010 Goldman Environmental Prize on April 19
- SCICON Barbeque and Wildflower Festival 2010 The SCICON Barbeque and Wildflower Festival on April 18.
- Monthly WildPlaces Walk – April 2010 The Monthly WildPlaces Walk on April 17 was at Blue Oak Ranch.
- Restoration at Blue Oak Ranch Restoration at Blue Oak Ranch with Sequoia Riverlands Trust and local youth
- Kaweah Lands and Arts Festival Kaweah Lands and Arts Festival at the Kaweah Oaks Preserve in Visalia, CA
- Springville Apple Festival Springville Apple Festival
- Immersed in the Wild Mule-Pack Trip to Cyclone Meadows Immersed in the Wild Mule-Pack Trip to Cyclone Meadows
- National Public Lands Day, MyForest Summit, Rio Limpio IV National Public Lands Day, MyForest Summit, Rio Limpio IV
- Nursery Work Day at the Springville Native Plant Nursery Nursery Work Day at the Springville Native Plant Nursery
- CASSP Workshop at Kennedy Meadows CASSP Workshop at Kennedy Meadows
- Rio Limpio Number Three Rio Limpio Number Three
- Immersed in the Wild with OVCDC Immersed in the Wild with OVCDC
- Immersed in the Wild with Walt Whitman High School Immersed in the Wild with Walt Whitman High School
- Rio Limpio Number Two Rio Limpio Number Two
- Monache Intertribal Gathering at Bone Creek Monache Intertribal Gathering at Bone Creek
- Rio Limpio Number One Rio Limpio Number One
- Monache Intertribal Gathering at Bone Creek Monache Intertribal Gathering at Bone Creek
- WildPlaces’ Earth Day Event WildPlaces’ Earth Day Event
- Goldman Environmental Prize Ceremony in San Francisco WildPlaces is honored to take 15 youth from Tulare and Kern Counties to the Goldman Environmental Prize Ceremony in San Francisco on April 20th. This inspiring event is a chance for our community to interact with grass-roots leaders from across the globe. Of course, our youth are also looking forward ...
- SCICON BBQ SCICON BBQ
- WildPlaces Outreach Table OVCDC 4th Annual Family Formation and Fun Day 09 Gathering at the Park, at Kern County Group Picnic Area Lake Ming Golf Course in Bakersfield.
- WildAppreciation Concert We are honored to host you at our annual appreciation concert, WildAppreciation, on March 28th from 6.30 pm until 10.30pm. in Springville, CA. It is a fun, family-oriented evening in the foothills of the Giant Sequoia National Monument with wildflowers at their peak, free camping at the beautiful River Ridge Ranch (www.river-ridge.net) and only $7 ...
- Immersed in the Wild Snowshoe Trip With LaSierra High School We at WildPlaces are excited to lead a group of students from LaSierra High School in Porterville on a snowshoe trip to the Freeman Giant Sequoia Grove on March 21st. It will be the first time for many on snowshoes, and promises to be a fun and educational opportunity for all involved! The youth will ...
Río Límpío: Tule River Education, Outreach, and Clean-Up Projects 2010
Fun-filled day down on the Tule River in Springville, CA, demonstrating good river stewardship practices and reaching out to other river-users to also take personal responibility of OUR Tule River. There is a free BBQ at Upper Coffee Camp after the river clean-up, prizes for the most collected trash or most interesting piece of trash. Fun times. Please join us.
Middle Fork Tule River on June 5 from 8.30 a.m. until 2.00 p.m.
Middle Fork Tule River on July 10th from 8.30 a.m. until 2.00 p.m. (This is the Clean Water Challenge component of Río Límpío. Faith-based organizations are invited to attend a river clean-up challenge while raising money to be donated to a clean water organization in Haiti. Stay tuned for more…)
Upper Kern River on June 12th (The Upper Kern River Clean-up event is Río Límpío’s sister event in the Kern Valley)
Middle Fork Tule River on September 25 from 8.30 a.m. until 2 p.m. (Also National Public Lands Day and MyForest Summit. More info to come…)
Immersed in the Wild Summer 2010
June 18 – 21 Walt Whitman High School in Freeman Creek Giant Sequoia Grove
July 9 – 14 Monache High School in Golden Trout WIlderness
August 1 – 6 Granite Hills High School in Golden Trout Wilderness
August 13 – 16 Mongolian Youth Camp in Quaking Aspen Meadow
August 18 – 21 Dolores Huerta Foundation, Youth Programs at Quaking Aspen Meadow
May 15 – WildPlaces Hike at Wishon Creek. Call Mehmet to RSVP (760)447-1702.
May 19 – Springville Nursery Day with La Sierra High School, and Springville Schoool’s Green Club.